Thursday, March 3, 2011

Our Debt

In my previous post, I said that we started out Debt Free Dive on January 1st, 2011. I lied... sort of. We've been trying to get out of debt ever since we got married in December of 2008, but until January 1st of this year all we ended up doing was spinning our wheels.

Some History

My wife, bless her heart, was never really taught how to manager money. "I thought a credit credit was just a way of getting free money" she said. When she turned 18, she went off to YWAM in Kona, Hawaii for Disciple Training School to become a missionary. The combination of her generous heart and her desire for MAC Makeup resulted in a maxed-out Macy's Credit Card and medical bills she couldn't afford to pay.

My story was a little different. I was frugal as a kid, and saved all my money, and I got a full ride to the University of Michigan on a Track & Field scholarship so I didn't have that to worry about... but that all changed when I actually went to college. I had some bad influences in my life at that time, and I actually remember trying to convince my Dad that having lots of debt was OK because it was something I'd be dealing with my whole life anyway so why not have everything I wanted now instead of having to wait?! Wow, I was so arrogant and idiotic. By the time I got married to my lovely wife I had almost $10,000 in credit card debt and about $24,000 in student loans. I was only 24.

When It All Changed

One little tid bit I left out of our history was that I had to sell my paid-off car (which my Mom had provided to me as an incentive to get a college scholarship) in order to pay for our wedding. Even after that, I will had around $7,000 in credit card debt. I remember seeing the young kid who had bought my car drive away and just feeling like I had lost control somewhere along the way and something had to change.

From that point on, my wife and I tried really hard to make our lifestyle as debt-free as possible, but it was hard... really hard. Between lifestyle expectations and disagreements about where our money should be going, my wife and I struggled to find a methodology with which we could both live. I mean, who really wants to give up going on a mission trip when you can just put it on a credit card and worry about it later? Seems like something nobel to do, right? Of course, it wasn't a bunch of mission trips that put us into so much debt, but once you realize the tough decisions you'll have to make as part of a commitment to becoming Debt Free you start to question whether or not it's worth it.

Our Debt

At it's worst, this is what our debt looked like:


Ugly. Very ugly. However, once we made some lifestyle changes and a concerted effort to get out of debt, those numbers changed dramatically. This is where we're at today:


I'd say that looks a little better! The major thorn, I mean credit card, is completely paid off, another credit card is paid off, and a student loan and another credit card are very close to being paid off! We'll be tackling this in a hurry, and YOU get to be a witness! Can I get an AMEN?!

8 comments:

  1. Awesome job on paying off so much debt! I'm very excited to read more about your journey out of debt.

    Also, as a side note, I went to Central Michigan University on a full athletic scholarship! So we might have similar friends in common. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome. Have you ever heard of Dave Ramsey. He is one I love listening too. He believes in the Debt snowball. I'm going to keep reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done really well to pay of this much! I'm looking forward to following your blog,

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Krystal That's cool! My brother went to CMU about the same time you did (I think). I wonder if you know him? His website is here: danstewartphotgraphy.com.

    @Jeff YES! I have definitely heard of Dave Ramsey. We're on his plan and I listen to his podcast daily, have read his book, and I agree that "Debt is Dumb, Cash is King"! I can't wait for the day my wife and I call into his show to scream "We're Debt FREEEE!!!!". Are you following his plan too?

    @Louise Thank you! I'm looking forward to reading your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome job so far! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen brother. I struggled with credit card debt for a long time as well. You'll get there.

    -1MansMoney

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Job. Just started a new blog to get out of debt and maybe not be such a grouch about it. I certainly wasn't a grouch going in! You are an inspiration. It is hard to meld two different people into one set of money. Ah Mawage. Mawage it bwings us togedder today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. RELIABLE BUSINESS/HOME/COMPANY/PROJECT/PERSONAL LOAN? AFFORDABLE LOAN IS HERE FOR YOU TODAY Email profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

    We are financial consultants providing reliable loans to individuals and funding for business, home and projects start up. Are you tired of seeking loans or are you in any financial mess. Do you have a low credit score, and you will find it difficult to get loans from banks and other financial institutions? then worry no more for we are the solution to your financial misfortune. we offer all types of loan ranging from $5,000.00 to $200,000,000.00USD with a low interest rate of 2% and loan duration of 1 to 33 years to pay back the loan secure and unsecured. Are you losing sleep at nights worrying how to get a Legit Loan Lender? Contact us via WhatsApp Number +12156195367 Email profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

    * Personal loans * Business loans
    * Home loans * Farm Loans
    * Education loans * Debt consolidation loans
    * Truck Loans * Car Loans
    * Hotels Loans * Refinancing Loans
    * Venture capital and many more.

    We are certified, reliable, financially powerful, fast and dynamic, with no credit check and offers a 100% guarantee loans and finances

    Best Regards
    Mrs. Dorothy Pilkenton Jean
    Financial Advisor on Bank Instruments,
    Private Banking and Client Services
    Email: Address: profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com
    WhatsApp Number +12156195367
    Operation: We provide Financial Service Such As Bank Instrument
    From AA Rate Banks, Cash Loan,BG,SBLC,BOND,PPP,MTN,TRADING,FUNDING MONETIZING etc.

    ReplyDelete